November 17 is the new release date for the second book in the Drums of Rallinwar series.
Three months later than I anticipated.
I’ll begin by stating this book was destined to be behind schedule without any outside influences. The editing process is far more intense than it was for Blood of Two. So much so, I would like to revisit Blood and put it through the same strainer. I feel as though this book is better written and you, as the reader, will see that. While some of the improvement can be attributed to my learning of the craft, most of the improvements are a result of my enhanced editing schedule.
To say this year has been eventful would be an understatement. In May, three tornadoes tore through my life. Friends and family lost their homes, and insignificant in comparison, we lost a good portion of our fence. Not only did those three events take me away from the book physically, helping with the cleanup, but mentally I just couldn’t focus. You can’t live in Oklahoma and not know somebody who has lost something to Mother Nature, but even then you can’t prepare for when it impacts your life. That sh*t sticks with you, and the impact it had on me is minor in comparison.
Those three events (three days) set the book back 30-45 days. Add in a few everyday squirrels and the August release day was not achievable if I wanted to put forth my best effort.
So where am I now?
In one of my earlier posts I outlined the editing process I set in place. I am in the middle of steps 4 and 5 (of 7). The initial copy edits for the first half of the book were completed a few weeks ago, and that portion of the book passed off to the evil editors. One of those editors is done; the other two are about half way through.
I completed the checklist edits (step 3) for the second half of the book this last weekend and am now in the middle of the copy edits for that portion. I hope to complete that part this weekend and then forward the second half of the book on to my editors.
Monday I expect to begin step 6 (appeasing the evil editors), and from what I have seen to this point, I will catch up with the editors (who are in step 5) rather soon. When they finish up with part two of the book, and I complete my portion, I will make one last pass with the copy edits.
I am not sure where Lucky is with the cover art, but you can expect another beautiful cover that continues the theme begun with Blood of Two. I also need to print off a map so that he can paint one up for me.
I’m excited to finish this project. I will take a short (very short) break, and then drum up Book Three. At the moment, it appears the series will be completed with the third book, which would basically make it the cliché fantasy trilogy.
Beyond that; I have the beginnings of a story about a man from Saimus’ home country. It will likely be a stand-alone novel.
I am also still sitting on a short story I promised earlier (which I have the cover-art for), but I have been so focused on the book, it has just been gathering dust. If there’s a chance before November 17, I will brush it up and publish it.
And of course, I still need a title for Book Two.
Anyway, that is where I’m at. I apologize for the delay. I let things interfere with my productivity and it will probably happen again. Tis the life of a writer who has a day job.