Monday, April 22, 2013

If You Don't Have Anything Nice to Say

I have been conspicuously absent from social media for a couple of weeks.  I just haven't had anything nice to say, and it has been bothering me.  Am I really that much of grump?  Well, maybe I am, but this morning I realized what has had me residing in Grumptown; social media.

I open up my Facebook feed and it is littered with angry people, hypocritical people, and whiny people.  Read a few posts from these folks and see if you can live on the sunny side of life!

I have read post after post of political propaganda from all three sides of the fence.  Each of them taking a quote out of context, throwing out a number that sounds outrageous, but isn't true, or just bad-mouthing the other side because they can.

I won't go into my political viewpoint, because it really doesn't matter.  I don't care what side of the fence you sit on, when you distribute lies, YOU are the idiot; not the president, not the guy running against the president, not the NRA, not the anti-gun.

If you want to tout the virtues of eating healthy, eating organic, eating right, don't follow that post with a status of your location being a pizza house, or a burger joint.  Unless you're protesting fatty foods, you just negated your earlier posts.

And really?  I don't care how unfair life has been to you when you get on your iPhone/Pad, or personal computer to type that message out, while your munching on food you don't need, living in a climate controlled environment, thinking about where you are going to go to in your car that costs more than someone in Mexico makes in a year.  There's an undernourished kid in Uganda that would like to speak with you.

With all that said, I unfollowed a lot of people this morning.  Life is already looking brighter!  I haven't had anything nice to say because the people I surrounded myself with in the social media world didn't either.  Problem fixed.

When the world gets in your face
I say
Have a Nice Day!

2 comments:

  1. Wow, it seems that I'm your first commentator - ever. Not sure if that's blessing or curse. Don't really care. I have something to say here, so I'll just barge right in.

    I like this post...a lot. I fully agree with it. I am not on Twitter - tell me, do you call a person who is on Twitter a twit? Just asking - nor do I care to be. Very few of the tweets (who comes up with these silly words?) are of any real import at all and are usually just a monumental waste of bandwidth and time.

    I was on FaceBook but quit for several reasons. For one thing, I'd rather be writing a story than wasting my time on FaceBook. I don't do Farmville. I don't poke anyone. I don't "friend" or "like" anyone. So, why bother? Besides, FaceBook's policies of selling my identity to spammers and violating my privacy and other rights just ticks this old Hippie off completely. So, no FaceBook.

    I thought I was the only curmudgeon to do this; after all, to some not tweeting or FaceBooking is just, well, unAmerican. It is so refreshing to see I'm not alone. Thank you for that.

    That's all I'll say for now, but I also agree with you on other issues you mentioned. Good on you!

    For what it's worth, I also have a writer's blog: davidkeith2.blogspot.com. Come on by if you'd like. If not, that's okay, too.

    Take care and keep being a curmudgeon. The world need many more of us.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Maybe not the first, but one of very few comments. Thank you for the comment, and a big thank you for the review of my recent short story. I don't have to tell you how much those reviews mean.

    ReplyDelete