Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Growth of a Writer

There is a writer that I am a big fan of. He began his career with a game company and has written many novels based in that game world. He is well known for his ability to write vivid battle scenes, and really, I just admire his imagination and the writing that results.

I picked up one of his earlier works, written some fifteen or so years ago, and, while it is a good story, I found the writing borderline amateurish. Do not misunderstand my critique, I still enjoyed the story, and the book was written good enough for publication. Mechanically, this book just had several flaws that I don't see in his recent writings. And quite honestly, it may just be that he used a passive voice that falls beneath the list of pet peeves.

If the action is worth recording on paper (or screen), give it the power that it deserves. Just one of many guidelines I try to adhere to. (notice I said try)

Through this writers works, one can see a simple truth illustrated: The more you write, the better you can become.

Of course, this assumes that a writer's goal is to pen something that is better than what he or she has penned prior.

No comments:

Post a Comment